Abortion Cost in Flanders, NJ
Get the Facts.
Engage Equip Empower
Engage Equip Empower
The cost for abortion depends on the type of procedure you have. These are the approximate costs in the Warren County, NJ area:
According to the Guttmacher Institute, the average cost for a first-trimester abortion is in the US is $508 (anywhere between $75 and $25001). The median cost for a second-trimester abortion is $1,195. Later term abortion can cost $3,000 or more.
The specific cost of an abortion depends on the type of procedure and the size of the baby, which are based on gestational age. The price rises as pregnancy progresses. Price also varies by provider; clinics and private practice abortionists typically offer lower costs than hospitals.
Typical Abortion Costs
- (within 10 weeks gestation): $350-$650
- Cost of abortion pill with insurance: $350-$650
- Cost of abortion pill without insurance: Up to $1,0002
- Cost of abortion pill online: Not available legally3 in the US
- Cost of Abortion Pill at CVS: Not available by prescription
- Suction Aspiration / Vacuum Abortion (6-12 weeks gestation): $600-$1,000
- Dilation and Curettage (13-16 weeks gestation): $850-$1,600
- Dilation and Evacuation (17-21 weeks gestation): $1500-$2,100
One of the most common questions asked is, “How much does an abortion cost?” Costs can range from between $350 to over $650 for a medical abortion and $600 to over $2,000 for a surgical abortion, depending on how far along you are in your pregnancy. But from a medical standpoint, every procedure comes with side effects that should be considered. Care Net Pregnancy Resources can give you objective information about all these costs in a caring, non-judgmental environment, helping you navigate your pregnancy decision with confidence. This is Abortion Questions Answered – because the best decision is an informed decision.
Find out what your costs could be.
To find out how far along you are and what the cost of an abortion could be for you, schedule a free pre-termination evaluation with Care Net Pregnancy Resources today.
1 Jones R., Ingerick M., Jerman J. Women’s Health Issues. 2018 May-Jun; 28(3): 212–218. “Differences in Abortion Service Delivery in Hostile, Middle-ground, and Supportive States in 2014.” Retrieved from NCBI, U.S. National Library of Medicine on 06/04/19.
2 Planned Parenthood Federation of America Inc. “How do I get the abortion pill?” Retrieved from PlannedParenthood.org on 06/04/19.
Cost estimates may include but are not limited to:
- Health Insurance. Do you have health insurance? If so, you may want to discuss with them to become clearer on what your plan may or may not cover in terms of aborting your pregnancy.
- If you don’t have health insurance, your out-of-pocket cost may be higher. Some government health insurance plans assist with abortions, however, others do not
- The cost of abortions varies from state to state and clinic to clinic. It’s important to gather all your information regarding cost prior to your abortion.
Type of Abortion. There are two types of abortions – the abortion pill (link to new info on this information) and a surgical abortion. (link to new info on this information) The price is dependent upon the type of abortion you desire, the licensed practitioner(s) involved, and how far along in your pregnancy you are. The farther along you are in your pregnancy, the more your abortion may cost.
Initial Appointment Charges
The first set of charges you could face during the initial appointment at an abortion clinic or an abortion provider’s office in New Jersey can vary. The staff will typically need to perform a medical exam and an ultrasound.
- Blood test to screen for health risks
- RH incompatibility with the fetus ($25-$50)1
- STD screening ($180 to $349)2
- Identify correct treatment
- Preserve future fertility
- Sonogram required by clinics ($100 to $300)3
- Fetal age determines procedure options
- Assess viability: 10 – 25% end in miscarriage4
- Position (ectopic pregnancy is life-threatening)
Do not forget to factor in incidental expenses that can add up quickly.
- Transportation to and from the clinic
- Childcare while at the clinic and during recovery
- time off from work
Prices by Week
Abortion prices in New Jersey and across the country increase in proportion to the gestational age of the pregnancy.
Medical professionals measure fetal age by calculating LMP – the number of weeks since the first day of your last menstrual period.
4 – 10 WEEKS LMP
- Indirect charges for the ultrasound and blood test may add to the total. Why spend money needlessly? Your early pregnancy may not be viable.
- The direct cost of a surgical procedure (vacuum or suction aspiration) during this period ranges from $350 at a clinic to $500 at a doctor’s office.
- The direct cost of the medical abortion (pill) ranges up to $800.5 The abortion pill is a prescription drug and can only be taken during the 4th week through the 10th week of your pregnancy. Once you have passed the tenth week, the pill is no longer an option.
11 - 24 WEEKS LMP
- 16 weeks LMP: $650 – $7006
- 20 + weeks LMP: $1,5007
After 14 Weeks LMP
After 14 weeks pregnant, New Jersey law dictates that 2nd-trimester abortions must be performed in a licensed hospital or done using a D&E surgical procedure.
Therefore, the charges for the hospitalization and medical procedures used will be higher when this requirement applies. Inpatient facilities such as hospitals have much higher charges than clinics or doctor’s offices.
After 18 Weeks LMP
ABORTION COST IN NJ & INSURANCE
Your health insurance plan may cover abortion – with notable exceptions. Most every plan has member cost-sharing features. The patient is responsible for paying all charges not covered by their health plan.
- Out-of-network charges
Remember, in addition to the providers’ charges, other medical services are also needed— additional charges may incur from sonograms, blood tests, prescription medications, and anesthesia.
Below are the sources of information in this article.
Pregnancies ending in miscarriage
NJ clinics recommending ultrasound before an abortion
Cherry Hill Women’s Center
Metropolitan Medical Associates
Abortion pill costs
Costs at 10 & 16 weeks
National Abortion Federation
Costs at 20 + weeks
NJ Abortion Laws
Some states may have age restrictions or waiting periods. If you’d like to know more about abortion laws in the state of New Jersey, please feel free to contact us. Laws are changing rapidly from state to state and new legislation is being introduced regarding abortion regularly. Our staff and medical professionals would be happy to help you.
Care Net Pregnancy Resources offers education on all of your pregnancy options in order to help you understand all the abortion types and risks. We do not profit from your reproductive choices and all of our services are free. We invite you to make a no-cost appointment today by clicking here.